The square and the equestrian statue in its middle are dedicated to Andrew Jackson, the general who defended New Orleans from the British Army during the War of 1812.
On the left of the Saint Louis Cathedral is located the “Cabildo” (the old city hall), where the final version of the Louisiana Purchase was signed in 1803, moving French colonies like Louisiana and other Midwest territories under the control of the US government.
True, a lot of American history in this public space.
Hurricane Katrina struck New Orleans in 2005.
Many years later, this house is still marked by flood stains.
The spray-painted X’s were used by search-and-rescue teams and included a date, time, the identification of the search units and sometimes other information about hazards encountered. Whether anyone was found, alive or not, was recorded in the bottom quadrant.
“Rue Bourbon” when Louisiana was “Louisiane”.
This street, heart of “French Quarter”, offers every kind of entertainment: bars, clubs, live music venues (mainly jazz) and gets crowded during “Mardi Gras” celebrations.
Tales claim this alley was Heaven for pirates in the old days.
Local people know these are just good stories to tell the tourists.